The Nigerian Communications Commission is empowered to establish minimum Quality of Service (QoS) standards in service delivery for the telecommunications industry.
These QoS standards ensure that consumers continue to have access to high quality telecommunications service by setting basic minimum quality levels for all operators.
These standards define the lower and upper bounds of acceptability of such technical issues as transmission rates, error rates, call completion rates, etc. and commercial consumer issues such as access to customer care centres, billing integrity and other characteristics that can be measured and improved.
As a result, every mobile operator must report to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) at the specified frequency in the year. Each operator must note the following:
- The reporting frequency shall be Quarterly. The report for the preceding quarter must arrive at the NCC (Abuja Office) at most by 15th of the first month of each quarter.
- The report shall be in both hard copy and editable electronic (MS Word / Excel) versions in the format provided by the NCC and using the format provided, each operator must provide the reports on the following basis:
- A National Report (covering the nation-wide network services).
- Regional Reports (preferably using the six geo-political zones).
- Urban Area Reports for Lagos, Aba, Abuja, Kano, Benin City, Maiduguri, and Port-Harcourt cities only.
The following are Quality of Service (QoS) Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) based on data collected from the Network Operating Centres (NOCs) of the nation's major mobile network operators (MNO). The data is collected during busy hours at the Base Station Controller (BSC) level and analyzed using monthly weighted averages to ascertain each operator's performance.
The following graphs and tables detail the monthly recorded KPIs of Nigeria's operating GSM mobile networks i.e. Airtel, Etisalat, Globacom and MTN. Data points that fall within the target threshold region indicate a failure to meet the QoS KPI target for the relevant month.