NIGERIAN COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
Created in December 2016, the Research and Development (R&D) Department will focus on these vital areas listed as follows:
- Liaise with the different Departments in conducting researches on current industry issues, emerging technologies and trends to assess the effectiveness of regulatory decisions and actions.
- Undertake and coordinate telecoms-based researches from Tertiary Institutions that have the potentials of growing the industry.
- Ensure periodic publication of the research reports in both local and international journals, forecasts annual trends reports on the Nigerian ICT sector to guide Management’s decision for Policy formulation and development for the telecommunications industry.
The telecommunications industry is a very dynamic sector throwing up new technologies, new opportunities and new challenges all in a mix but converging to create a new socio-political and economic environment appropriating all the nuances and benefits of modern technology.
The Commission through its regulatory process is to superintend the development and growth of the sector through licensing processes and other regulatory measures.
The NCC will foster these developments in terms of regulating the ways and means by which these services are provided by its licenced telecoms operators. The creation of the Research and Development Department is a welcome development that the NCC recognizes its successes as a regulator and is, therefore, determined to continue playing a leadership role in a holistic manner that will aggregate the strength, skills and intellect of relevant strata of society in a supported process that will foster the growth of the telecommunications industry while enhancing the adaptive use of the sector by the society.
The R & D Department currently has two (2) Units, namely, Academia Research Support (ARS) Unit and Emerging Technologies Research (ETR) Unit
Second (2nd) Floor,
Nigerian Communications Commission,
Plot 423 Aguiyi Ironsi Way,
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
We conduct research that fosters a better understanding of trends in the Telecommunications industry, and provide information / data to support the development of strategies, principles, standards and guidelines that ensures the direction of the Commission as an excellent regulator.
We will achieve this by;
- Carrying out research into emerging technologies; and
- Championing telecommunications-based innovations from academia.
- Conduct research on emerging Telecoms Technologies.
- Initiate technical research proposals in collaboration with relevant Departments in the Commission.
- Provide informed advice to Management based on technical research output.
- Review research proposals from the academia and engage with the inter-agency committee to choose research proposals that have potential to develop the industry.
- Monitor the implementation of approved research proposals from the academia.
- Promote partnership with the academia in the area of telecoms-based research to develop the telecoms industry.
- Facilitate collaboration with the inter-agency committee of evaluators for the realization of approved research projects to prototype.
- Produce periodic operational reports on technical research in the industry.
- Publish periodic technical research reports on the Nigerian ICT sector.
- Relate with relevant stakeholders e.g. NASENI, NOTAP, etc. to promote telecoms based research.
- Encourage effective research and development efforts by all Communication industry practitioners.
- Propose grants for developing of approved research projects to prototype.
- Undertake research into emerging technologies and publish in relevant journals.
- Create an interactive platform for stakeholder engagement on telecom-based research to develop the telecoms industry.
- Engage other stakeholders in the ICT sector, Government agencies, private sector, Telco’s on ICT research and policy development.
- Encourage interaction between the organized private sector, specialized institutions and the academia to promote telecoms-based research from proof of concept to prototype, reverse-engineering and direct private sector investment for commercial production
- Any other role that will encourage local development of ICT devices/equipment.
SERVICE DELIVERY TO EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL CUSTOMERS
- The Department receives proposals from relevant stakeholders.
- Proposals are responded to accurately and efficiently
- The Department communicates acknowledgement of receipt of proposals to stakeholders
- Feedback on status is provided, in hard and soft correspondence.
The Research and Development Department through the various approved channels holds meetings, fora, body of knowledge, peer to peer, bird of a feather collaborates with other agencies to organize fora with respect to innovation/research.
- Federal Ministry of Communications
- ICT sector
- National Universities Commission
- Private sector,
- Members of Staff
GRIEVANCE REDRESS MECHANISM
Stakeholders are enjoined to seek redress by submitting their feedback in writing to the Nodal Officer:
Research and Development Department,
Nigerian Communications Commission,
Plot 432,Aguiyi Ironsi Street,
Tel: 09-4618765; 09-4617000