The following describes the procedure and requirements toward applying for a license in both the Class and Individual categories from the Nigerian Communications Commission.
- An Individual Licence is a type of authorization in which the terms, conditions and obligations, scope and limitations are specific to the service being provided. Process of licensing can take the form of Auction, "First Come First Served", "Beauty Contest" or a standard administrative procedure, etc.
- A Class Licence is a type of general authorization in which the terms and conditions/obligations are common to all license holders. Requires only registration with the Commission for applicants to commence operation.
Individual License Application Requirements
- Obtain application form for ₦1,000.00 payable to Nigerian Communications Commission
- Fill the form and produce two copies of the form (2 copies).
- Also attach copies of relevant documents:
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Tax Clearance Certificate
- Certified True Copy (CTC) of Articles & Memorandum of Association
- Feasibility report of proposed service
- 3 Passport photographs of authorized representative
- Certificates of qualified technical staff (where applicable)
- Certified True Copy (CTC) of Form CO7 (List of Company Directors)
- Passport photographs of Directors of the company
- Certified True Copy (CTC) of Company's Registered Address
- Utility bill of the official address of the Company.
- Evidence of funding for the project
- The amount budgeted for the project i.e. estimated funding for the deployment of the proposed service
- Applications should be submitted in triplicate with all necessary documents attached, all spiral bound.
- Enquiries should be made to the Commission for the appropriate amount before payment.
- On submission of the form, a non-refundable administrative charge, which is 5% of the relevant license fee would be paid.
- License fee is payable on approval of application.
- All Automated Vehicle Tracking Service (AVTS) applicants henceforth must obtain a security clearance from the State Security Service (SSS) for the proposed service before applying for the license, as a condition precedent for the grant of license by the Commission. The Personal History Statement Form (PHS) for the company and its Directors will be provided by the Commission for completion by applicants.
- All VAS (Content Service using Short Code ) applicant (s) must present :
- Evidence of an Agreement or a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) entered between the company and any of the VAS Aggregators.
- Alternatively, the company should provide a copy of License duly issued to it by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for Mobile Money Services or from the National Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC) for lottery services.