The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), being the nation's premier communications regulatory agency under the Federal Ministry of Communications & Digital Economy is mandated to work with all stakeholders to ensure a secure cyberspace that is safe for the operators and consumers of communications services and infrastructure in Nigeria.
The following details the news, structures, projects and activities being undertaken by the Commission to secure Nigeria's cyberspace.
Projects & Activities
National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM)
The Month of October is the National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) globally, aimed at raising awareness about cybersecurity, and to provide the public with general knowledge and tools required for online safety.
Consumers are empowered through awareness and sensitization campaigns, by providing information on both the positive and negative potentials available online, and measures required to safeguard themselves and their loved ones.
Security is not reserved for a group of people, it is truly everyone’s business, bringing competence and knowledge to help build a safer and more inclusive information society.
Part II - Banking & Email Safety Tips
Internet Banking Safety Tips
- Never log on to your Internet or Mobile Banking using public WI-FI, your data can easily be stolen my malicious persons using the WI-FI Access.
- Never open your internet banking by clicking a link, rather type in the banks URL manually to avoid being taken to a clone site where your data can easily be stolen.
- Always two-factor authentication password for sensitive data such as your internet banking- This will give you an added layer of security for your data.
- Always have your internet/mobile baking Apps up to date as required.
Email Safety Tips
- Do not open emails from unknown sources. Also, if an email looks suspicious it usually is do not open it.
- Always look out for grammatic typo on the email, this is usually a sign that the email is fake.
- Be careful when u download- Do not open or download attachments from someone you do not know, even if the sender is familiar. This might contain a virus or malware that will infect your device once opened.
- Use Spam filters on your emails, this helps to keep spam emails away from your main inbox.
- Always report any suspicious activities on your email to your organisations IT department, they will advise you accordingly.